We Have a New ATI Mobile App!…
Well actually, not so new. Same app, based on a different production and distribution platform. There are many technical and business reasons behind the decision to recreate our app on a newer browser-based technology, but the bottom line is that we believe it will offer us more stability moving forward. This is better for us but most importantly, better for our valued members.
Please feel free to read the more extensive explanation below along with some Important Points regarding our new app. The first article is an informative read but not a necessary read. However, the “Important Points” article is more necessary in that it explains some of the usage and limitations of the new app.
The New ATI App – An Explanation
As you know the ATI App can be found in both the App Store and Google Play Store. For over 6 years these two platforms have been successfully delivering our app to our significant user base.
However, over the last year or so there have been various significant and ongoing changes in the Developer policies, guidelines, and terms-of-use policies that have caused some instability and challenges in maintaining our app on both the Apple and Android infrastructures.
It is our belief that these challenges and changes will similarly continue into the foreseeable future causing us ongoing uncertainty.
With this in mind we have decided to utilise a newer browser-based technology to re-create the existing ATI app as a Progressive Web App. This will allow us complete control over the future development and delivery of our app, independent of the Apple and Android OS, and unencumbered by any change in future policy or infrastructure delivery.
Almost all of the existing app features were able to be replicated. There were only a few sections based on some native mobile phone functions that we were not able to mirror.
So the question remains: If the App Store and Google Play delivered the existing ATI app to your phone, how will the new app install?
Actually this is a rather straight forward process. Because the new ATI app has been developed as a Progressive Web App which is a browser-based technology, it is as easy as visiting the address of our new app on whatever is your mobile phone’s chosen browser.
We have some separate PDF’s walking through the installation process for our new app which can be found at the bottom of this page.
Some Important Points to Understand About The New ATI Progressive Web App:
- It is built using a new browser-based technology. This means that technically any device or browser (PC, Mac, iPhone, Galaxy, iPad, Windows based phones, etc.) will be able to display it. However the user interface is graphically and functionally designed to “fit” mobile phones. Other displays may not work as intended.
- We have recreated our new ATI app based almost exactly on our existing Apple/Android app, however there are a just a few native mobile phone functions that we were not able to duplicate.
- Over time you may notice some visual/graphical/UI changes. Sometimes these changes may be subtle and sometimes dramatic. This is one of the advantages of this newer browser-based technology. It means we can improve and update our app without going through the long-winded process of updating through the App Store/Google Play distribution channels. It also means that by simply closing our app and opening it the next time you use it, you will always have the latest version of our app.
- It is recommended to close the ATI app after using, then reopening when you next need it. Again, this is to guarantee that you will always have the latest content.
- Because this is a browser-based technology, progression elements such as the reward “stamps” are stored in the cache area of your browser. If you delete the app then reinstall it, the stamps you have will be reset (lost). It is recommended that if you are experiencing any problems when using the app, simply close it and reopen.
- If for some reason you need to delete the app and reload it (such as a phone failure, or replacing your phone etc.), and you do have stamps collected in the reward section, please see ATI staff and they will take note, and reissue stamps when required.
- The ATI app can still be found on the App Store and Google Play. However from this point forward these apps will not be updated and eventually they will stop working. We recommend that you delete them from your devices and start using the new progressive web app version of the ATI app.
- There is sure to be some teething issues with this new ATI app. Some issues you might not even notice and some might be more obvious. Any problem/issues that do arise will be dealt with ASAP.